Men's National Excellence Program (NEP)
The National Excellence Program (NEP) is designed to prepare athletes to perform at the highest level of our sport and to continue their development towards the National Senior Team Program and/or playing professional volleyball. It offers individual technical and tactical skill development as well as team play refinement. Athletes are exposed to an array of Sport Science and Sport medicine services, dispensed by leading Canadian practitioners in a holistic high-performance environment. NEP athletes, through training and exhibition competition, are introduced to leading international volleyball programs and clubs.
Those selected to the NEP are committed to an investment in their future as an international athlete competing on the world stage.
The objectives of the National Excellence Program are to:
1) Create a high-performance daily training environment with provincially and nationally identified athletes in grades 10 to 12
2) Monitor and support the WHOLE athlete through national team staff leadership
3) Enhance volleyball skills to match and exceed those of other top nations
4) Provide a balance between academic and training demands
2023 NEP Details
- Athlete Eligibility: Male athletes in grades 10 to 12
- Location: Centre Sportif de Gatineau, QC
- Dates: September 6 to December 15, 2023
- Sport Medicine: IST Staff, including mental health and recommended practitioners will be made available
- Athlete Selection: Volleyball Canada will identify and invite 16 athletes at the end of April 2023
- Education: Student-athletes complete online courses from their home province and are provided weekly face-to-face classroom support from a certified teacher. A minimum of three hours of daily study time is integrated within the program schedule, with evenings and weekends free for additional study time. Student-athletes are responsible for making the necessary arrangements with their institution before the start of their semester.
- Living Arrangements: Athletes will reside in a supervised apartment building, with a designated Volleyball Canada chaperone
- Training: Sessions will vary between on-court, strength and conditioning, education, therapy, and recovery
- Competition: Travel and competition opportunities with identified Universities
- Program Fee: To be confirmed
- Selected athletes will be nominated for Sport Canada's Athlete Assistance Program (carding) for 4 months, from Sept-Dec 2022 ($1,060/month)
- Includes: Training and competition gear, administration, coaching and IST staff support, education support, travel to and from competition, and the cost of accommodation and identified meals.
- Does not include: Travel to and from the training centre at the beginning and end of the program, as well as any travel outside of team events throughout the program
- Does not include: Any educational online registration related expenses
Nationally identified athletes will be committed for the duration of the program and will not participate in other club or school-based programs during the program (Sept-Dec). This program is designed for athletes who have chosen volleyball as their primary athletic pursuit. Student-athletes may be exposed to other sports during the year as a means to support their volleyball development. Athletes will return to their home school in January and are encouraged to participate in their local club to further their development and regain family/social bonds.
The program would integrate online learning to support excellence in academics while managing a high-performance training load. Students graduating from the program can expect to improve their opportunities to excel in a post-secondary program.
This program also aims to propel Canada beyond the current success of Olympic qualifications to Olympic podium performances.
2023 Identification Process
Step 1: Online Application through GMTM
- GMTM Registration: Click HERE
- Athletes register and create a personal profile including physical stats, highlight video, and full set.
Application fee: $50 USD
Deadline: April 2, 2023
- Volleyball Canada will host an Information and Q&A session in February 2023 (date to be confirmed)
Step 2: Selection Committee Review
- Selection Committee will review athlete applications in April
- Some athletes may be contacted for more information
Step 3: Athlete Selection
- Selected athletes will be contacted at the end of April 2023