Youth Women Indoor - Program Info
The purpose of the Youth (w) National Team program is to identify, select and train a group of athletes who have future Senior National Team potential. The programs are also designed to identify an athlete pool to continue to develop through advanced training opportunities in future programs.
Youth Women Program Info 2019
Athletes: 2002 or later (17U)
Number of athletes: 12 athletes + 3 alternates
Selection process (see detailed outline below)
- Step 1: Provincial/Territorial Associations will submit athlete ID list based on selection criteria.
- Step 2: Provincial & National Championships - Athletes will be identified and selected at National Championships. Selection committee members may be present at Provincial Championships.
- Step 3: Final Selection Camp - Approx 32-36 athletes will be invited to a final selection camp, held May 24-26, 2019.
- August 23-September 14, 2019
Training Location: TBD
Main Competition: 2019 18U World Championships, Cairo, Egypt
Coaching Staff: Scott Koskie, Dale Melnick, Jimmy El-Turk, Nathan Janzen, and Geoff Mabey
Identification Process 2019
Provincial Territorial Athlete identification support:
- Each PTA submits to Volleyball Canada a list of athletes for the VC selection committee to consider at during the final selection process at National Championships
Provincial & National Championships (Identification and selection):
- The selection committee will attend provincial championships, where feasible, as well as National Championships (Toronto 2019)
Final Selection Camp:
- Selected athletes will be invited to a final selection camp
- May 24-26, 2019, Orangeville, ON
For additional information please contact:
Dawna Sales, Program Manager
Frequently asked questions
How do I find out about my PTA’s plans for the summer of 2019?
It is important that you check with your region to ensure you are aware of the selection process for their elite programs. Information is available through your Provincial/Territorial Volleyball Association's website or contact pages.
How will the Provinces and Territories identify athletes?
The PTA’s will provide selection process information to all interested athletes. Through ongoing processes’, the PTA’s will provide VC with a list of athletes to observe at National Championships. VC is not restricted to this in the selection of athletes but it will formulate the majority of the ID process. Volleyball Canada will provide PTA’s with specific selection criteria, including physical
testing guidelines for athletes.
My club team is limited by positions and I believe that I may have greater success in another position but I am unable to showcase that at Provincials/Nationals. How will the selection criteria reflect this situation?
The selection committee will work very closely with the PTA’s to ensure athletes are able to be evaluated in various situations. The selection committee will prioritize the physical and mental capacities of the athlete throughout the selection process.
What if my club team is not planning to participate in VC Club Championships?
The club championships are a critical piece of the season plan for our next generation of high performance athletes so it is the expectation that athletes will be in attendance. It would be important to communicate early with Volleyball Canada if your team is unable to attend. It is assumed that athletes would be attending their respective provincial championships, and the coaching staff will make every effort to ensure a member of the selection committee is able to evaluate athletes.
I am injured and unable to attend VC Championships, what should I do?
Depending on the injury, it is important that athletes are healthy and prepared for training and competition in the month of July. Our first priority is to ensure long term athlete development. If you are unable to participate during nationals, you would be responsible to communicate with your healthcare provider, coach, and program manager well in advance of the final selection.